I had planned to make a very simple back for this quilt but, with help from the fabulous Ayumi, I have a new plan! I'll post instructions for both a version with applique letters that say Tokyo Subway Map in Japanese, and a plain version.
Note: These requirements contemplate fabric at least 42" wide.
For a plain back, you'll need 4 yards of the fabric of your choice (or 2 yards each of 2 different fabrics).
For the applique back, you'll need:
- 4 yards white or other neutral solid fabric
- 1/2 yard contrasting solid fabric, such as black, for applique letters
- Thread to match contrasting solid fabric
- 1 yard or 1 small package lightweight fusible web, such as Heat'n'Bond Lite
- 84 squares 2" x 2" in assorted prints and solids to match the squares used on your quilt front.
Regardless of which back you choose, you'll need about 64" x 64" of low-loft batting and 1/2 yard of fabric for binding. (I recommend solid black or dark gray.)
I'll post about other things before then, but I'll be back with more about this project on November 16!