I make every effort to provide accurate patterns. Unfortunately, even with testing and editing, mistakes can happen. This page includes known pattern inaccuracies, as well as frequently asked questions/clarifications. If you have a question or concern about a pattern, please don't hesitate to contact me at email@example.com.
The following corrections are to the first printing and pdf patterns downloaded before August 31, 2016:
- On Page 7 (Alice/Block A) Step 4 refers to the finished Upper Wing Unit as measuring 15-1/2" wide x 7-1/2" tall. This is the size of the KBHDIILA unit but, once piece NN is added, the finished Upper Wing Unit will measure 18-1/2" wide x 7-1/2" tall.
- On Page 9 (Alice/Block A) Step 21 refers to the pieced unit as being 7-1/2" wide x 12-1/2" tall. This should be 12-1/2" tall x 7-1/2" wide. (The listed dimensions are correct, but tall and wide are backward.)
- On Page 10 (Alice/Block A) Step 24 and the accompanying Fig. 23 incorrectly reference sewing pieces GG to the pieced units. This should be pieces II. All pieces are correctly-referenced in the initial diagram and cutting directions on Pages 5 and 6 so, if you have been following along with the directions, at Step 24, you will have two remaining pieces II to use instead of the incorrectly-referenced pieces GG. (At this stage, all pieces GG will have already been used.)
- On Page 20 (Della/Block D) the diagram for cutting Fabric 6 is mislabeled. The labels for pieces R and T should be reversed, as shown below.
- On Page 18 (Carmen/Block C) Fig. 14 and Fig. 15 are not colored correctly (all labels and directions are correct.) These diagrams should look like this:
There are no known inaccuracies in the dimensions of cut pieces.
Early editions of the pattern may include the following inaccurate headings/references:
- On Page 5 (Bunny) the heading above the cutting diagram for Pieces I - Q should read "Fabric 1" and not "Fabrics 2 and 4".
- On Page 3 (Fancy Fox) the heading above the cutting diagram for Pieces C - F should read "Fabrics 3 and 4" and not "Fabrics 2 and 4".
- On Page 15, Step 9, the size of the finished Thistle block should be referenced as 6-1/2" x 18-1/2" (not 6-1/2" x 18"). The size is referenced correctly elsewhere in the pattern, including in the Page 14 introduction to the Thistle Block.
- On Page 17, Step 9, the size of the Upper Wing Unit should be referenced as 7-1/2" x 4" (not 7-1/2" x 3-1/2"). The size of all of the component pieces and the piecing directions are correct, so following the pattern should result in Upper Wing Units that are the correct size.
There are no known inaccuracies in the dimensions of cut pieces, or in the piecing instructions.
The cutting charts for the background fabric on Pages 9 and 10 should state that 2 pieces AA are required for the project. The first printing of this pattern incorrectly indicated that only 1 piece AA was required. The size of the cut pieces and the instructions for sewing them together are correct. You will just need to cut a total of 2 pieces AA from the background fabric.
The back cover and Page 1 reference "Groups 3- 8". This should be Groups 3 - 10 (8 total groups). The written directions and diagrams correctly refer to the 8 different groups and how to cut them.
On Page 7, when cutting the Background Fabric for Fabric Group 2, reference is made to cutting 1-1/2" strips and then subcutting pieces R at 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" each. This should be 1-1/2" x 6-1/2" each, as shown in the chart on Page 4.
PREPPY THE WHALE
There are no known inaccuracies in this pattern. However, some quilters have become confused when attempting to piece the block without reading the written directions. The written directions include instruction to trim Piece B after sewing. If this step is skipped, the block will not come together correctly and the whale's mouth will be too big. (The instructions are written this way because the whale's mouth finishes at ¼" and I think this method makes it easier to accurately sew such a small piece.)